Sunday, September 1, 2013

Time To Dust Off The Crockpot...

Since summer is winding down I thought a crockpot recipe in honor of fall coming up would be perfect.  One of my favorite meals to make in the crockpot is chili. There are a million and one ways to make it but I think I have a solid traditional recipe you will enjoy as much as I do.

Crockpot Chili
2 lb ground beef (I've used ground turkey as well and it's also delicious)
1/2 c. onions, chopped
2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes...they have diced tomatoes with green chiles if you want to add a little kick.
2 cans beans - black, northern, kidney, red...these are all great choices and I usually choose two different ones to give it some variety.  My favorites are black beans and northern beans.
2 tbsp. white vinegar
3 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt (optional)

1. Brown ground beef or turkey before adding it to the crockpot.
2. Add diced tomatoes, drain and rinse beans and add them to the mix.  Add the rest of the ingredients and spices and stir it all up. 
3. Let cook on high for 4-6 hours to let all the flavors mix together.  Since everything is already cooked before putting it in the crockpot, you can pretty much eat it whenever it's hot enough for you.  I personally like to let it cook for a while.

That's all there is to it.  You can add other Brewers Organics vegetables to it if you'd like too.  Some good choices would be green peppers, zucchini, yellow squash or mushrooms.   I typically put half in the fridge for the week and freeze the rest to eat later.  It's easiest to put it in good portion size containers and then you can just defrost it whenever you'd like.

In other news, I have been on a juicer hiatus for a while and today was the start of using it again.  I'm excited to start incorporating more veggies and fruit into my diet in the most concentrated form.  I am thinking about doing a 3-5 day juice reboot too.  Wish me luck...next up for you though is another great ab workout...stay tuned and have a great week.

No comments: