Monday, September 9, 2013

Mason Jar Overnight Oats

Do you find yourself hitting the snooze button a couple extra times in the morning and then rushing around trying to get out the door on time?  Well for me, I end up hitting the snooze button about three more times than I should and then I have on average about 10-12 minutes to get dressed, brush my teeth, put my contacts in, make breakfast and pack snacks.

So I came across a recipe that is now one of my new favorite on the go breakfast meals.  You make it the night before and just add a few ingredients in the morning and it's ready to go.  The less time I have to spend prepping, the better.

So here are the ingredients that I've used, though you can pretty much add or take out whatever you want depending on what kind of fruit you like.

Overnight Oats
I used a mason jar to make it in. It's a great portion controller and has a lid so you can save some for later if you get full.

1 cup milk.  I used almond milk but you can use regular milk, coconut milk etc.
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 banana, peeled and smashed, optional.  I've thought about trying it with berries or peaches.
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1 tbsp. hemp seeds
1 tbsp. peanut butter
1 tsp. agave nectar.  You can also use maple syrup or honey.

1. Mix all ingredients besides the peanut butter and agave nectar in a mason jar.  Let sit overnight and then add peanut butter and agave nectar in the morning. Stir well.

I love it because I can eat some for breakfast and the rest for my mid morning snack.  It's very filling and has great flavor.  You can add or take out most of the ingredients and make it your own with whatever you like best. 

Add in a cup of tea or coffee with it on those colder mornings and enjoy. Go Packers!

No comments: