Sunday, July 21, 2013

Tuna Salad Time.

I had dinner at my mom's house a couple nights ago.  I usually do at least once a week since we have the guilty pleasure of watching The Bachelorette.  For the record, there is not a show that goes by that we don't contemplate the reason we watch the show since it is nothing short of ridiculous.  I guess the main reason we do is it gives us time together and something to laugh about.

It was one of the 90 degree days that I went over there and my mom decided to make something light and delicious...tuna salad on a bed of spinach.  I really enjoyed my meal and yesterday I decided to make a batch of my own.  I would like to the share the recipe in hopes that you too can eat something light and healthy on days where the oven and stove just aren't an option. I should preface this recipe by saying that when I made it, I didn't measure out anything.  I just kind of guessed on how much to put in so the portions I have in the recipe are just a guideline that you can follow if you'd like.  If you like one veggie more than the other feel free to add more or remove an ingredient if you don't like it at all.

Veggie Tuna Salad
1 c. cucumbers, chopped
1 c. zucchini, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
1/2 c. red onion, chopped
2 cans tuna, drained...I used Trader Joe's brand tuna
1 handful of parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 c. parmesan cheese...or any other cheese you like
1/2 c. veganese (I used this instead of mayo but you can use whatever you'd like.  You can also substitute avocado for the mayo as well)
salt and pepper to taste

**Other optional ingredients: chopped tomato, brown rice macaroni noodles or any other veggie or spices you enjoy.

Mix all the ingredients together and serve over spinach or any other lettuce you enjoy.   Feel free to add in a couple hours of mindless reality television while you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe.


No comments: