Monday, July 8, 2013

Soup in the Summer...I think so.

Though I know the weather has been getting warmer and the thought of turning on the oven or having the crock pot on all day is not very appetizing but I wanted to share a family favorite soup recipe.  It's pretty light, delicious and makes a very generous portion to eat for the week and be able to freeze some for later as well.
 
Stuffed Pepper Soup
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. uncooked quinoa
28 oz. tomato sauce
28 oz. diced tomatoes
2 peppers (any color...I used yellow and red), cut into chunks
1 yellow squash or zucchini, cut up in chunks
28 oz. water
1 serving vegetable or beef bouillon
Salt and Pepper to taste
 
1. Brown ground beef and rinse before putting into the crock pot. Rinse the quinoa as well.
2. Clean and cut up veggies.
3. Put all ingredients into crock pot.  I always see how thick the soup is at the end and add more water if it's too thick.
4. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until quinoa is fully cooked.

My mom makes this soup year round and I always really enjoy it.  We also have a small salad with veggies, nuts and a little cheese sprinkled on top and every once in a while some hearty bread to dip in it.

I hope you like it as much as I do. Happy cooking!

No comments: