Wednesday, July 17, 2013

4th of July Tidbits.

Somehow this entry from the 4th of July got erased so disregard if you've already read it. :)
It's time for fireworks and parades and relaxing with family and friends this week.  I love this time of year.  I love getting up early to head over to my mom and step dad's condo for a traditional breakfast...piggies in a blanket (sausage link wrapped in a croissant),eggs, fruit and coffee.  I love finding our spot on the sidewalk to catch tootsie rolls and watch the Daley Debutantes march on by.  I used to be a little baton twirler after all.  Hard to believe me going from wearing pink leotards, make-up and tiaras to baller shorts and high tops. 

Last year it was hot as blazes out.  Everyone was overheated and uncomfortable to the point where it was almost dangerous to be outside for any prolonged period of time.  I'm thinking we will have a milder 4th this year but it's still important to stay hydrated and take care of yourself. 

So I came up with some ideas to help my family and I stay cool and comfortable and healthy.

1. Wear sunscreen.  I can't tell you how many times clients tell me how pale I am or how they need to wear sunglasses to the gym because my legs are so bright.  I've come to the point in my life where I've accepted the fact that I'm very fair skinned.  I would get burnt to a crisp often when I was younger and now I feel like I'm more aware of the potential risks of getting so burnt over and over again.  I want to protect my skin even if it means I'll look extremely pale in the middle of summer or get made fun of for it.  I also suggest using a daily moisturizer that has an SPF in it so your face is always protected even on those partly cloudy days.

2. Bring water bottles.  You can never have too much water.  I try to drink at least 100 ounces per day because of my activity level.   That doesn't change when I'm standing at a parade in the sun.  Last year a couple people in my family had some trouble with dehydration and heat exhaustion...now I know it's not going to be nearly as hot this year as it was last year but dehydration can happen no matter what the temperature is if you aren't consuming enough water.  A small cooler full of ice and H2O is always handy. 

3. Make some 4th of July inspired juices.   Some juice ideas for the day would be a lemonade inspired drink.  Peel and juice a bag of lemons, add your favorite berries or other fruit (I'm a big fan of the raspberries and strawberries)...you will probably need a few cartons depending on the size of your party.  Mix in some plain old seltzer water and possibly some stevia or even an apple to sweeten it up a bit.  Then just add some ice and there you have a great, refreshing juice that is freshly squeezed. 

Another juice idea would go more of a tropical route...pineapple and mango mixed in with some berries is always a safe and delicious choice.  You can always add a few cucumbers for a fresh taste that makes a lot of juice.  You wouldn't even be able to taste it but it will give you some volume and mix well with the fruits.

4. Wear light clothing and a hat. Protect your face with a hat or visor.  Dark colors on a warm day will only make you more attractive to the sun.  White shirts and tanks with red or blue accents is always a safe choice.

5.  Get your workout in before the festivities. I always like to get a good workout in on days I know will be filled with food.  I feel great starting my holiday off with a butt kicking.  Even if it's a quick run or an hour at the gym...You'll feel much better eating that grilled cheeseburger if you burned 500 calories a few hours before.

Hopefully these tips will help you have an even more enjoyable holiday.  My last tip is to go see some fireworks and enjoy the company of your family and friends.  Happy 4th everyone!

No comments: