Monday, November 4, 2013

Fried Rice...The Healthy Remix Recipe.

It's about that time again for another easy recipe that tastes great, doesn't take a lot of time and incorporates a lot of fresh veggies. 

For breakfast, I typically have eggs with different vegetables depending on what I get in my delivery that week.  My favorites are mushrooms, zucchini and for some extra protein, I like to add some edamame to the mix and sometimes I'll throw in some spinach.  I wanted to make something similar that I could enjoy at lunch that would incorporate some good carbs and fill me up. So I decided to make a healthy version of fried rice with veggies.

Vegetable Fried Rice

1 c. dry brown rice - I typically use the minute rice or something quick that can cook while I am preparing the veggies.
1/2 c. onions, diced
Coconut Oil - You need just enough for sautéing the veggies.  Coconut oil is my favorite because I think it adds some good flavor to the mix.
3-4 c. veggies of your choice - zucchini, mushroom, peppers, edamame, spinach and  broccoli are just some ideas but you can add whatever you'd like.
2 eggs - If you don't want to the egg yolks, you can always use three egg whites.
Spices - salt, pepper, garlic or onion powder to taste.
1/4 c. soy sauce OR salsa - I've actually used salsa the last couple of times I've made this and it tastes really good without the salty taste of soy sauce.  Either will work just fine depending on your preference.

1. Cook the rice according to the box and let stand until it needs to be added to the recipe.
2. Heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Cook onions for a couple minutes until they become transparent and then stir in the veggies and cook until soft. 
3. Push the cooked vegetables to the side of the pan and crack the eggs into the pan.  Let cook for a few minutes before mixing everything together.  Stir in soy sauce or salsa.
4.  Once most of the liquid from the soy sauce or salsa have mixed in, add the rice and stir until warm.  Voila! 
5. Enjoy!

I hope this will add some variety to your menu this week.  Since I'm only cooking for one, sometimes I will cut the recipe in half so I don't end up wasting the leftovers I wasn't able to get to.  I hope you have a wonderful week and make sure you're drinking lots of water and eat lots of  fruits and veggies of course.

No comments: