Sunday, October 20, 2013

Finding Ways to Control My Sugar Cravings.

One of the questions I typically ask clients when I'm getting to know them is what is your biggest downfall when it comes to eating?  For some (or maybe I should say most) people, it comes down to portion sizes and lack of will power.  I like to eat and I know that if I wasn't aware of the effects it could have on my body, I could eat a lot of not-so-good food in large quantities without even thinking about it.

 Over the years, I have learned a lot about nutrition and diet and for the most part I do a really good job eating right and fueling my body properly.  I have said from day one though that I'm far from perfect and I have my days where my eating habits are not the greatest.  Luckily, I work out enough to carry me through those subpar days and I can feel guilt free and resume my healthy eating habits the next morning.

The reason this topic popped into my head was because we all have that one food group that tempts us the most.  For some it's carbs...breads, pastas, chips, you name it.  For me, it's my sweet tooth that gets the best of me sometimes.  So I have found a couple of healthy recipes that have helped me curb my sugar cravings.  It gives me that sweet taste I feel like I need without all the sugar and processed ingredients.  I personally have found that if I don't completely cut it out of my diet, I'm less likely to binge on it some other time.

All in all, find what works for you to help you reduce your cravings even if it is simply substituting your favorite snack for a healthier one with ingredients you enjoy  but are also better for you. 

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana Cookies
  • 3 bananas
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Dash of cinnamon (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Mash bananas in a large bowl, then stir in remaining ingredients. Let batter stand for approximately 20 minutes, then drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Bake 10-12 minutes.  When they are done you can always put half of the batch in a freezer bag and save them for later.  It should make about 30 cookies and will only be around 50 calories per serving.

The other idea I came across not too long ago was Kefir popsicles.  I have talked about Kefir in one of my previous entries and here's a little review of what it is in case you don't remember.  Kefir is a fermented probiotic milk product similar to yogurt but not quite as thick.  Probiotics are beneficial in helping with GI functions as well as pushing the bad bacteria out of the small intestines during the digestive process.

All you really need for kefir popsicles is a plastic popsicle tray with usually six compartments to fill and then stick in the freezer.  You could also just use an ice cube tray and it would work just fine.  Pick the Kefir of your choice and also a frozen fruit that would complement it well.  I think one of my favorites is strawberry kefir with chunks of strawberries in it.  Mix the kefir and fruit, fill the tray up and pop it in the freezer and boom, you've got yourself a frozen treat with not only less sugar but also many more health benefits for your body. 

It is not hard to find healthy alternatives, you just have to make sure you are prepared.  It is much easier to not be tempted when you know you have another treat that will be just as satisfying.  Make good choices this week and try to be creative with healthy foods.  If eating gets boring that's when we turn to bad choices.  Don't let cravings distract you from your goals.  Consider them a speed bump along your nutritional journey and find ways to get over these bumps with healthy ideas to fall back on like I have. Happy eating everyone.

 



No comments: