Sunday, June 2, 2013

'Tis The Grilling Season.

The smell of barbecue has been filling the air on and off for a couple of weeks now.  I love tailgating and cookouts and parties where I can sit outside with my family and friends and just enjoy the day.  One of my favorite easy grilling recipe incorporates a bunch of the veggies I got in my Brewers Organics deliveries the past couple of weeks. 

Here are the ingredients I used but you can really add any veggies you'd like. 
*Potatoes
*Bell Pepper
*Onion
*Carrots
*Zucchini
*Jalapeño for a good little kick
*Salt & Pepper
*Grapeseed Oil or even Coconut Oil if you want to add a little flavor to the veggies.  Both of these oils can be cooked at a high heat which is why I suggested them.
*Rosemary & Thyme are the spices I used but you can really use whatever you want depending on what kind of inspired dish you are trying to make.

1. Wash all the veggies, peel the potatoes and cut them all into small chunks.
2. Boil a small pot of water and put the cut up potatoes in it to make the cooking process go a little faster.  Usually the potatoes are the slowest to get soft so I like to speed up the process.
3. Using a mixing bowl, put all the veggies, including the semi cooked potatoes, into the bowl.  Add the oil of your choice along with all the spices you enjoy and mix them all up so everything gets covered.
4. Using a good sized piece of foil, put all the ingredients on the foil and fold them up.
5. Place on the grill for 15-20 minutes checking occasionally.  Once all the veggies are soft, take it off the grill and enjoy with your favorite protein and green salad or fruit salad.  Hopefully we get a good grill out day soon so you can try this.

Another recipe I like to add into my hot days or just eat for dessert some nights when I want something sweet is just made with the juicer.  I haven't talked about my juicer in a few entries and I don't want it to feel abandoned. All you really need are your favorite fruits.  Throw them in the juicer, put the juice into good portion sized containers, stick them in the freezer and you have a great cold healthy treat.  When I was younger we used to use ice trays as containers to freeze juice or a larger container with a plastic stick to make it more like a popsicle.  My favorite recipe uses mostly berries so it's a pretty color and tastes delicious.  I used strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and grapes to curb my sweet tooth.  It's like a whole fruit popsicle but better...and made exactly the way you like it.  The only thing really missing is the joke on the stick. 

Okay everyone, go outside, enjoy the weather and try both of these recipes...you won't be disappointed with the taste or the time it takes to prepare them.  Next up: My favorite  core exercises. 




No comments: